Technical Author Training Course – in a Manual
✓Help your Readers Sit Up and Take Notice –
move your Writing Skills up to Professional level
Do you write any of these?
- Information Guides
- Test specifications
- User manuals
- Repair Instructions
- Maintenance documentation
- Online Help Guides (e.g. with RoboHelp)
- Emergency procedures
- Training materials
- Work instructions / Procedures
- Installation Manuals
- Software Help Guides
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) ?
Technical Authors can be found in many departments in an organisation, such as engineering, research, sales, programming, support, end so on.
Sometimes it’s just part of your job. Or maybe you were previously in a different job role, or were recruited for your technical expertise. However, most of you have never had any training in professional Technical Writing.
In our experience, people from Sales and Support roles make good Technical Authors, because their career has been about explaining things so that other people can understand. It’s a natural progression.
The goal is to produce technical documentation that the end user can read once, understand it first time, and do the task efficiently and without mistakes.
So if you would like that professional edge to your technical writing for the rest of your career, all it needs is our Technical Author Course Workbook.
This Technical Author Training Manual teaches you:
- how to write effectively for your target readers, using the correct language;
- how to plan documentation, even for complex systems, in minutes instead of hours (or days!);
- Plus there’s a short module on how to get the best out of Microsoft Word – it has features that can save you time and help your writing style.
You can improve your department’s documentation standards across your entire customer base.
Who is the Course suitable for?
For Technical Authors/Writers, Engineers, Salesmen, Support staff, Managers – in fact, anyone who writes instructions for other people to read.
✓Key Benefits of this Course
1. Understanding: Learn how to write so that the readers can understand more easily, in one reading, and get on with the job without making mistakes.
2. Increase your value to your customers: speed up their “learning curve”, so that customers become productive more quickly.
3. Reduce your Support Calls. Companies have saved tens of thousands a month by producing correctly-written technical manuals and business procedures.
4. Learn from an experienced Technical Author. I teach what I practice, and practice what I teach. Many years of technical career experience are here to help you. As a full-time technical writer and international trainer, I know what works best in practice. This training course is based on more than 20 years’ experience of writing technical material for business. Added to this is practical feedback from my clients, plus study and wide research.
✓In our Technical Author Training Manual, you will learn:
- Correct writing techniques so that you can help the reader to understand something with ease.
- Best practices for writing in clear, user-friendly Plain English.
- Some essential basic Grammar.
How to target the reader/user groups; how to write at their level without being patronising.
- Powerful techniques to plan the content in minutes rather than hours (or days!)
- Advice on correct layout.
- How to work faster for the same effort.
How to create an “Index at the back”, quickly and easily. And lots more.
See the Course Outline.
What others say about this Course
“The section on planning was the most interesting as this is something that is immediately relevant. Overall, a very good course. It presented a number of techniques that I can use immediately with no extra tools.” – A. Hall, Head of Development Methods Group, Bank of England, London.
“This course is really going to save me precious time. I would recommend it to anyone who has to write and maintain any type of document.” – Kyla Young, Operations Manager, Dataflow Communications.
“The course was useful and informative. Good pace and delivered at a level understandable to the delegates. The most interesting part was the Plain English module, because it’s been a long time since I was at school and I slipped into bad habits.” – Glen Norman, PTW & Learning Coordinator, LES Engineering, Humberside.
“Very interesting. The content was excellent and meaningful to my job. I learnt a great deal – many things I didn’t know before. I would recommend this course to others.” – Mandy Raison, Learning & Development Manager, Airborne Systems, Bridgend.
“The training course was very interesting and showed me some basic errors that I currently do without thinking. I learned a lot of details about making documents simpler and more user-friendly. Excellent information.”
– Andrew Thalayasignham, Production Engineer, Airborne Systems, Bridgend.
“I did actually use the techniques soon after to produce a report that leads to a request for expenditure approaching 8 figures, which has been well received, so thank you.”
– Richard Carver, Offshore Operations Engineer, Perenco, Norfolk.
“I learned a good understanding of the role of a technical author and what I need to plan and consider. The training day was well-presented and kept my interest throughout. Questions were well answered and discussed. The course manual provides good post-course resource and will be a good point of reference when I require tips and advice. It was an excellent course.” – Brian Livingstone, BAE Instrument Landing Systems, Telford.
“The course was well planned with effective communication and presentation. I learned how to minimise my writing style and offer more informative, easy to understand guides. Overall, a very good investment of my time.”
– Graham Carter, Telecommunications Dept., University of Bedfordshire.
“Very interesting and enjoyable training course. It made me think twice about how my writing comes over to others, and I’m sure it will help me to get my message across in a simpler and clearer way in future. Definitely worthwhile.”
– Alexander Findlow, Snr Telecoms Engineer, Perenco, Great Yarmouth, UK.
TWC Glos Gloucestershire